Brough Castle was built in the 1090's in one corner of the remains of a Roman fort. It was one of the first stone castles to be built in Britain, and some of the walls show the herringbone pattern typical of Norman masonry. In 1174 Brough was attacked by the Scottish King, William the lion, and left in a ruinous state after he forced a surrender by setting fire to the castle. In the 1180's the castle was rebuilt by Theobald de Valoignes who constructed a new four-storeyed keep on the site of the previously destroyed one.
This material came from castlexplorer.co.uk